[Jukebox-list] Wurlitzer cosmetics

Jjmscf at aol.com Jjmscf at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 16:45:27 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/9/2004 6:59:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
drjukebox at tiscali.se writes:

> The foil used in a Wurlitzer 1900 or 2000 is usually silver, but sometimes
> gold. Some say that 2000 is gold and 1900 is silver, but that would be
> impossible to prove. I have found that they can be either way. Sometimes you find
> the red plastic foil in a machine, often used on the sides but occasionally
> also on the back door.
>   People will sometime argue what is the correct colour or material for a
> certain year model. While it may hold up for antique cars, jukeboxes are a
> different story. You will occasionally find a hybrid or a machine with the
> "wrong" look, that was evidently shipped that way from the factory. The Rock-Ola
> 1448/1454 is a good example of hybrid machines - a good part of the production
> are intermediates, and the only way to tell is to read the ID plate. There is
> the odd Seeburg C, with a different spacing of the grill glass rods in
> pairs. How about a blond Rockola 1426, or a dark woodgrained 1428?
>   Even the sales brochures are sometimes inaccurate. Good example is the
> Wurlitzer 1400, dpicted on the brochure with a scroll grill that I doubt was
> ever used in production.
>   Obviously there was some experimenting done on the factory floor, but I
> believe it is mostly a case of using whatever materials were available - if
> they ran out of gold foil in the Wurlitzer factory in fall 1956 but could get
> red, why would they halt production?
>
>   I have both the gold and the red foil NOS, factory  precut as replacements
> for the back door. The gold foil is slightly oxidized and discoloured. On
> the red foil, the silver is totally missing, if it was ever there.
>   Both 1956 models had a square pattern foil. This was changed for 1957 for
> a round pattern. The 2100 and 2104 models I have only found with a gold foil,
> just as there was only one cabinet finish - a greenish blond wood (I believe
> you call it lime oak). Wurlitzer called it "Color-styled Dino-weld". I have
> never figured out how _exactly_ the Di-Noc finish was done - if anyone has
> specific knowledge on this, let us know.
>
>   The 1956 models came with four cabinet finishes:
>
> Desert Haze - the blond wood finish, by far most common .
> Chinese Black -  jet black. Second most common. Inside of cabinet also
> black.
> Persian Turqouise - an attractive bluish green. Metal parts painted same as
> the tonearm, a metallic paint. Cabinet inside also turqouise. (Btw, Persians
> hate being confused with Arabs!).
> Glacier White - I have never ever seen a white machine. After checking
> hundreds of them, I spotted a 1900 with dirty yellow sides - but without the wood
> grain. I figured it had originally been white. Cabinet inside was gray, same
> as the wood grained machines.
>
>   For completeness sake, maybe I should also list the 1955 variations:
>
> The 1800 model also came with four cabinet finishes:
>
> Dawn Mist - blond wood grain, again the most common finish by far.
> Midnight Black - as above
> [...]

Yeah the 2150 is different from the brochure.Most people don't think about
the anomoly since it isn't very high on the Wurlitzer collectability radar.
The brochure shows a turqouise foil inside on the upper back door.The one I
fixed and the one I parted out had gold foil.All the ones I have seen had gold
foil and I have a 1958 album by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters"Greatest
Jukebox Hits" featuring this jukebox and it shows gold foil.If anyone has ever
seen one with turqouise foil let me know.I don't think they made one.Also it says
the grill is gold anodized.All the ones I seen are regular aluminum.Looks
gold when lit up since the light diffuser is gold.I think mine has the turntable
shaft assy from a 1900 or 2000 since it's the same color as Jay's tonearm.The
parts machine had a beige one.I left the blue/green one.I liked it better.Not
like it's got to be all original like something more valuable.I got a stereo
tonearm in there from a 2300 with a Pfansteihl cartridge also.So the Cobra
didn't have a chance to eat my stereo 45s.
Cosmetically it's pretty much original.Cleaned up pretty nice so I only
rebuilt the amp and restored it mechanically.I had asked about redoing the sides
but after cleaning it up I decided for the time being to leave the sides
original.They were much better than most with only a few minor scratches.I got all
the suggestions for future reference.I moved on to other projects that needed my
attention.Top priority is my Seeburg C right now.