[Jukebox-list] Seeburg 100G

Ron Rich ronnnrich at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 14:44:52 PST 2006

Hi Mike,
  I assume that you are assuming (almost) correctly. The plunger should move into the record path as soon as the record clears the plunger's path.The only thing that I think "you got wrong" is that the "hook shape part" (called the "clutch link") had to have gone up far enough for the plunger to clear--it's connected to the same gear that brings up the record, and therefore would either block the record form going up, or jam. What it's not doing is, going back fast enough. This is because it is not gear driven in this direction--it's "free", only "pulled" by springs. Try the following and let me know:
  Reject the record and use the on/off service switch to stop the motor. Turn the turntable by turning the coupling on top of the motor (Do not force the turntable !!). Watch the safety plunger--it should move all the way over--clearing the clutch link. If it clears, turn the motor on (using the momentary service switch) and see if it will now scan.
  Ron Rich

seeburg at cox.net wrote:
  Thanks Ron,

What I'm assuming is that when the record ends and is returned that the
plunger should then move back to the "blocking the record" location. I see
that there is a hook shaped part of the linkage that holds the fat end of the
plunger during play and in my case, it looks like the hook doesn't rise quite
high enough to allow the fat part of the plunger to pass.

If I just lift that part of the linkage a bit, the plunger slides past and
everything works fine until the end of the next record. It plays, ends and
the motor continues to spin in the same location and I can hear a constant
tick, tick tick...

I'll contact you off list about the book, I think it'll be a good investment :-)

thanks a lot,

Mike

> From: Ron Rich
> Date: 2006/01/01 Sun PM 07:46:01 EST
> Subject: Re: [Jukebox-list] Seeburg 100G
>
> The plunger will have nothing to do with either the fact that it won't pick
up a record (unless it's not started in the scan position) or that the pop
meter coil is being held on--The plunger MUST return to "blocking the
record path" before it can go into the scan position. If it does not clear the
record path fast enough, the mech should re-play the same record (over
and over). If what's happening is that the carriage is "sitting" in the same
record space and just "spinning", it is possible that there is some "gummy"
substance on the safety plunger, or controlling linkage.
> I suggest that you return that to the person who "rebuilt" it, or if you
wish, I humbly suggest that you purchase a copy of my "Seeburg Mech
Guide". Which 'splains how that works--along with other things--